Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hong Kong: Day 1

My recent trip to Hong Kong is fantastic! Of course, it is still depending on the flavour and the taste of the person,i.e. purpose of the trip, where to go and what kind of budget? Some like it to be leisure and fun, some like the beaches, some like to shop till they drop, some like to see those sceneries and histories, some like to experience the lifestyles of the city and et cetera.


I like to experience various kind of activities. I prefer to hang out and see everything, experience and feel it. I do shop, of course, for some clothes i saw that i like especially when on discount! I like to indulge myself into the lifestyle and experience the food, the way they live, the culture and all little small details when i go for a trip.


This particular trip that i went to Hong Kong takes me 2 days and 2 nights. I was short of time and cringed on my tight budget. Hong Kong is a very expensive city to live in comparing to Shanghai and Malaysia. A simple meal costs you HKD50 for a single person eating out at the normal char chan teng. A movie ticket costs me HKD50 at the cheapest at afternoon show. It is expensive and the living expenses there is sky high. No wonder they say that even an office boy makes more than us in Malaysia.

Heres the details of my trip ... ..... .......

I reach Hong Kong from the border of Lo Wu, arriving from Shenzhen by foot. I took the MRT train from Lo Wu station (which is the border to Shenzhen) and pay like HKD63 freaking bucks to reach Tsim Sa Tsui (TST for short). I tell you, how homey feeling i have when i was in Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Everyone speaks cantonese! Hahaha! Of course, it is slightly different from those Malaysian cantonese due to the mixture of Malay and broken slangs we have back home.

Went to check in to Mingle Place Hotel in TST, but not before i got lost in the station in TST exit. I have a map in my hand, but that does not help me as well. I went out on the wrong exit, hey! stop blaming me. They have around 20 exits in TST station? And its freaking big. Well, i managed to find it, after i got to Nathan Road, which is super freaking long (later i will explain it). Btw, i am great in remembering directions and have a good sense in direction as well.


Get myself check in to Mingle Place and got into the room blasting the aircon while drenching myself in my own sweat! Its freaking hot ok! 36 degrees in the blaring sun with humidity of 80% perhaps?... .... ..... Its like dripping sweat! Fucking hot la, what else?

Check out my previous posts on Mingle Place Hotel review. Freaking excellent place to stay in!

Well, later that evening after a sweet chill bath and blasting air con. I was cooled down. Out i go again to experience the nice thing in HK on foot! I have no previous experience before in HK nor i have a tour guide. I just have a pair of legs, some HKD and an MP3 player to accompany me during my trip! I left the hotel around 6pm just nice when the sun is setting!


I went to Mongkok / Yau Ma Tei (YMT) by MRT metro from TST Red Line Metro (TST have 2 lines; blue line from Lo Wu and red line to somewhere else). 2 stations down the road, i reach YMT. Initially i was thinking to head to Temple street for their famous pedestrian street to check it out and perhaps get some "super over price souvenirs" street gifts from Hong Kong. (Remember i say about the length of Nathan Road? Check out the map above, its like this road stretches from TST to Kowloon? There are 4 MRT stations along the stretch of this Nathan Road!) Long or NOT?


But i decided to head over to another place nearer to the MRT station, namely "Woman street" that stretches between YMT station and Mongkok station. I tell you, to my shockness, the street is like the real HK stuff you see in movies. Shops, shops and shops left and right of you for 3 streets that stretches for like 1km each? Shops selling mobiles, fashions, shoes and etc. Shopping heaven la! What else? A MUST GO for everyone in HK!


I got myself 2 black t-shirts for my trip (undergarments actually, but it was so fucking hot there, that i buy and wear it anywhere i go) and got myself some "I Love HK" t-shirts! Hahahaha! I managed to by myself a pair of white Nike sneakers as well. Pathetic but cute! Check out also the people, people and people at the red light intersection. Its people mountain people sea!


I was then so consumed by shopping and walking around experiencing the lifestyle of Hongkies that i forgotten my dinner. I have my brunch at 12pm in Shenzhen and my dinner then was at 10pm? And i was not even hungry yet? Just that i need to try the local cuisine! Char Chan Teng!



*My nai cha and my yin yong!*

So i went across the street of Nathan Road to ... .... ..... Portland Street! Its like those Young and Dangerous Movie back then about a group of youngsters mafia slashing and hacking each other to gain reputation in Hong Kong. In cantonese, its called,"Puk Lan Kai" Hahahaha!


So enter i go, with my heart beating like a wild horse, experiencing the 1st time into a real char chan teng ALONE (apart from Kim Gary, which is like the worst HK food ever!) and i find myself a seat! I browse the menu and NOT to my surprise, all the menu is in Chinese. Considering myself to be an origin from overseas without any knowledge of chinese words! Haiiiiah!1!1!1! I managed to ask the "fooh kei" or waiter there, ordering myself a set meal dinner, a rice with sweet and sour pork, a lotus soup with peanut and a yin yong ping! Hahahahaha.



I paid and left soon after as i still want to walk around to snap more pictures. Look what i found! I found a mahjong place! I really thought wanna go in and see see. But scare la. Puk Lan Kai leh, later got gangster comes out and harass me leh? How..... ..... ..... Hahahaha!



After my dinner, it was like 11.30pm and i really need to go back before going out again! So, i took the MRT went back to TST and have my sweet cooling bath. I went out again at 1am. To my surprise, shops there really close very very late. I mean very very very super late la. I saw Giordano TST Nathan Road closed at 1am? OMG~ Maybe they finish their shift at 12am and pack leaving shop at 1am. So, no worries next time if you wanted to shop at 11.30pm. Definitely there are shops still open for you welcoming you with their arms open! (i was really astounded by their customer service; they welcome and greets you everytime you go to any shops, even a 7-11 convenient store)

I walk to the seaside. The seaside between New Territories and Hong Kong Island. The seaside that all the Hong Kong movies shows in their drama series. The super place to see HK island at night. *sorry for the quality of the night view though with my VIEWTY*





By the time i was done with the walking up and down the side, i've reached the jetty pier that connects from TST to HK island. I was drenching and i was practically wet. It was so hot and humid there! It was around 3am. So i decided, i need to go back for some rest as i planned to go for a HK cinema experience in YMT! I want to go and watch Dark Knight in HK! Hahahaha.

To be continued!



p.s: really. i got scolded for not browsing enough in Levi's store in YMT. The saleslady (babe) even told me,"Hey handsome! Don't worry about messy the clothes. We won't bite you. Please go ahead and try it out and test it out! *smiles*" Can you imagine the level of customer service?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been looking for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices for the sneakers were approximately 210 pounds on every site. But completely I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that meticulous model. The prices seeking the sneakers are around 210 dollars on every page. But completely I base this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking for that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the boots are around 200 pounds everwhere. But for all I base this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging as far as something that singular model. The prices seeking the shoes were around 350 pounds on every page. But finally I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you tell me about these?